New to the store? Need help, direction or information?
Drop by the Customer Service Desk and ask our friendly, knowledgeable staff to assist you with any of the following:
- membership information
- product information & reference library
- recipes & dietary information
- informal store tours & assistance finding products
- sign up lists for classes, workshops, and turkey orders
- special orders, bagging groceries, carry-outs to your car
- enter your name to win a prize (There’s usually a draw or contest to enter)
- quiet activities for kids while you shop
- wheelchair-accessible washroom
Some Frequently asked Customer Service Questions
Q: Can I use my friend's membership?
If you are shopping at the co-op, please do not use someone else's membership number.
Q: What about exchanges and returns?
If a product we have sold is not good quality, we will not hesitate to exchange or replace it. Money will be refunded on a product ONLY if it is accompanied by a receipt, within 14 days of purchase, if it was paid for with cash, debit or credit card. Merchandise paid for by cheque, or without a receipt, may be exchanged or replaced only.
Q: Is everything the Co-op sells organic?
All the produce is organic unless clearly labeled otherwise. Most of the bulk foods, much of the dairy and deli items and many grocery items are organic. The Co-op strives to use accurate labeling and also uses the asterisk (*) to designate organic products.
Q: How does the Co-op decide which products to buy for the store?
Products are evaluated based on a review of their total environmental impact throughout the life cycle of the product. We require full disclosure of materials and processes, and work to reduce our impact on non-renewable resources. Products are evaluated using a criteria which represents an ideal, for example, locally grown and organically certified with minimal packaging. This may not always be attainable at any given time, in which case the next best product will be chosen. We promote socially and environmentally responsible business practices through our buying decisions. See buying guidelines for full details.
Q: Do you have a place for recycling at the store?
We refund deposits on all beverage containers purchased at the Co-op. However, due to an acute shortage of warehouse space, we encourage customers whenever possible to return all their recyclables to the recycling or bottle depot.
Helpful Hints for Easy Shopping
- Build (and bring) your own shopping kit. Include clean plastic, paper, and fabric bags for bulk foods and produce, egg cartons, shopping list & pencil, clean bottles & containers for bulk liquids and pastes. Carry everything in a sturdy, washable, fabric or net shopping bag.
- Keep your shopping kit by the door at home, and put egg cartons and refillable jars and bottles in it as soon as they are empty and clean.
- At home, clip your shopping list to the outside of your shopping kit; it will help you to remember both.
- Add a pen, pencil or china marker to your shopping kit so you can mark bin numbers on bulk purchases. (See bulk shopping guide)
- When you bring jars for liquid bulk items such as molasses, oil, tamari, vanilla, liquid soaps, and shampoo, remember to have them weighed by a cashier or at the deli before filling.
- Recycle your clean, un-damaged large paper and plastic bags by bringing them to the Co-op.
- Serve yourself - much of our stock is in bulk form. Please do not mix bulk products in the same bag or carton.
- Write the product code on twist ties to speed up check-out. Some of our codes are long and awkward, but the cashiers need the whole thing!
- Cashiers can look up your member number if you can't remember it.
- Please ask our friendly and knowledgeable staff for assistance if you need it.