The Co-op exists to serve its members and community. We take heaps of pleasure and pride in our role as investors in the social, environmental and economic well-being of our community.
Through Giving... Grants, scholarships and donations.
Through Education... With speakers, workshops, events and classes.
Through Advocacy... By supporting organizations that share our objectives.
Through Sharing Resources... By offering the covered area to organizations for awareness raising and sharing resources with other co-ops and organization.
Through Celebrations... As a way to share our success with everyone.
Click here for more information (PDF - 629KB)
How can the Co-op help you or your organization? Click here for Services To The Community
In Store Services
- Member Discounts as outlined in the Membership Pamphlet.
- Patronage Refunds are dependent upon the financial health of the Co-op and voted upon at each AGM.
- Special orders
- Delivery service
- Community bulletin board
- Promotional events such as World Food Day, Earth Day, Co-op birthday, member picnic, etc.
One person can make a difference. To help actualize this, the Co-op offers two annual scholarships for individuals in our community to acquire the knowledge and experience that lead to empowerment and change.
- A $1000 Kootenay Co-op Members' Scholarship is awarded in May for post-secondary education. Priority is given to studies in food & environment, health, community development, and cooperation, but we invite applications from all in our community.
- Our $650 Yes!Leadership Camp Scholarship is a scholarship that helps send a youth (aged 14-17) from our community to the Yes!Leadership Camp; a weeklong summer camp for BC youth. Run by the BC Cooperative Association, the camp focuses on skills-building in self-awareness, cooperation, communication, global awareness, environmental sustainability and leadership.
Educational Opportunities for Members
- Member information pamphlet
- Monthly newsletter
- Workshops, cooking classes & health classes
- Guest speaker sponsorship
- Politics of food info
- Dietary needs info
- Store tours
- Co-op website
- Product Information
Member Input Encouraged
General membership meetings
Board service, board meetings and AGM
Grants, Scholarships and Donations
Priority is given to community non-profit groups for food-related projects, but all community groups are welcome to apply.
- The Environmental Grant. Deadline for applications is April 15th, 2012.
- Food Security Grant. Deadline for applications is December 31st, 2012.
- Community Donation Days. The third Tuesday of every month is Community Donation Day. 1% of sales is donated to a non-profit group in our community in support of their ongoing efforts.
- The Till Donations Program makes it easy for shoppers to donate directly to great organizations while ringing through their purchases. A selection of donation cards from a variety of groups is at the tills. Cards are refreshed February 1st for a 1 year term.
- The Seasonal Giving Tree. Each December, the Co-op selects a local organization to receive our Seasonal Giving Tree donations. This allows our members and shoppers to donate directly to the selected organization by picking a decorative card from the tree and ringing it through with their purchases.
- Miscellaneous Donations are available to support your fundraising initiatives, such as gift cards, donated product or food platters .
- The Gift Card Program offers schools and other community organizations the opportunity to raise money by selling Co-op Gift Cards, in which a percentage of the purchased card value (currently 9%) is donated to the organization.
Other way the Co-op supports our community:
Event sponsorship. The Co-op supports Youth Soccer, Co-op Radio, FLIKS & other Film Festivals, and offers program advertising for shows, festivals and community gatherings. We can also support a speaker to come to the area.
Speakers & workshops. Ask us to deliver a cooking class, food demo or talk on health & nutrition or alternative medicine to your group. We have a number of staff with a wealth of experience and knowledge in a number of health-related areas as well as having access to resources in our community.
The Co-op covered patio is available for non-profit, non-political groups for them to raise awareness about their particular projects. You can phone or call in person at the office to reserve this space.
How you help the Co-op support your community:
By being a Co-op shopper you automatically support your community. Here's a few additional suggestions...
- Shop on Community Donation Days & World Food Days
- Use the till Donations cards (a great way to keep change out of your pocket)
- Support The Seasonal Giving Tree
- Join in the fundraising socials
Application forms for Scholarships, Funds and Donations: